Hard to believe it has been almost four years since I released Chord-o-matic Chord Constructor. One of the things that surprised me when I began that project was that there wasn’t some standard library or algorithm (that I could find) that simply took an array of notes and returned the name of that chord. So I had to write it myself.
In my free time over the last month or so, I decided to try my hand at building and publishing that algorithm. I extracted the core logic (fortunately I had written it in a way that made it relatively easy to do so), converted to Typescript (sooo much easier to work with than plain JS), and figured out how to publish to npm (alarmingly easy).
So now, the
chord-name package is available on npm for the world to use. It will be interesting to see if anyone uses it. I have to suspect that if many people needed this, there would already be something else, but I found some people using my Java BigFraction library which I published on Maven a while back. (I haven’t updated that in a long time but it’s basically feature complete.)
One of the things I’m most proud of is this:
I could rant for a while on this topic, and I would hardly be the first to do so. But I will leave that as an exercise for the reader.